Saturday, October 22, 2016

10/4 Observation

Guilt trip day!

"I expect you to be taking advantage of lectures, openings, events on campus. If you don't, I'm calling out your BS. That tells me you aren't taking your work seriously."

"Are you not good at drawing? Make up for it in other areas--be organized, keep the space clean, go to events, ask questions--before you know it, you'll be ahead."

"Submit to the student show. Your art career begins now. If your batting average [for successful works of art] is 1 in 6, make 6."

Today was our first warm up of 16 gestural figure drawings, 4 across and 4 down on one page, decreasing time allowed for each. Mary Ann highlighted the importance of no grid (totally my instinct and many others' to make one initially...I want clarity on why it's important not to make one--to build ability to use imaginary grid that helps map out the figure? To create a more dynamic composition?)

No comments:

Post a Comment