Saturday, October 22, 2016

POMO class & figure drawing class observation 10/13

POMO:

Game show day!

Mary Ann would frequently interrupt to address how students should ask and answer meaningful, relevant questions, and how to alter their questions to suit the room/venue/group. She also gave them a quick "teaching-moment-esque" lecture on "inspiration" -- Elizabeth Gilbert-style, you don't wait around for your muse, that way when it shows up you're ready, and if it doesn't, you know at least you've done your part...etc.

I'm intrigued by a tidbit about a work of art where birds symbolize 16th and 8th notes (in chapter 7, for my future reference).

We discussed diversity through 1) ethnic, 2) economic, and 3) knowledge lenses.

"If you're going to follow art, you have to follow the money--money shapes values."

"Language shapes behavior."

FIG DRAW:

"It's time to wean"--should be doing things like moving easels before and after class on own, without suggesting.

Pointing out specific things drawing-wise she wants students to do--things she sees happening but wants to see happen more often and more intentionally.

Guilt trip about practice--"What did I say about practice? If you do (suggestion) between every class you will get better. If not, you'll stay in mediocrity. I can tell when you're not practicing."

(Sidenote from hindsight--I didn't see a lot of difference in students taking initiative to practice or take more intentional care of the classroom space in the days after this. How do you instill this responsibility in people?)

No comments:

Post a Comment